Thursday, December 2, 2010

Devil (The Night Chronicles)

I'm glad I didn't write this review straight after I saw "Devil" as I was a bit underwhelmed. But after having time to digest the 75 minute thriller, I am a bit more positive about what it has to offer. First of all, it was a refreshing change to go to see a horror movie that wasn't a remake, sequel or prequel. "Devil" was written by M Night Shyamalan, who has been on a downward slide since a couple of early successes in his career [most notably "The Sixth Sense" and in my opinion the underrated "Signs"]. He also Produced the film, but that's where the Shyamalan influence stops with "Quarantine" director John Erick Dowdle taking the helm. "Devil" is the first film under Shyamalans "The Night Chronicles" banner.
The premise is simple, 5 strangers are stuck in an elevator in a busy office building in Philadelphia. They are all a bit snitchy about being there, but their day is about to get a whole lot worse. As the title suggests, they have a guest who is causing trouble. 
Looking in at our lift inhabitants on the cctv security camera is the 'smarter than the average bear' Detective Bowden [played by Chris Messina] and security guard Ramirez [Jacob Vargas] who seems to have a hunch that he knows who is responsible for the mayhem that is taking place inside the lift.    
With the set up in place, the carnage starts. Lights go out in the lift, something pretty fucked up happens to someone in there.
**Major spoiler alert** 
Like all stories penned by Shyamalan, "Devil" has it's fair share of twists, turns and mysteries. One of the main issues I have with "Devil" is that the cast [Ramirez aside] spend most of the movie trying to work out what is happening, while the audience [again thanks to the title] know exactly who is behind all of the chaos.
Also, when all is revealed at the end, it seems a bit rushed. Unfortunately I spent the grandiose scene at the end of the flick trying to process all the info that was thrown at me in the minutes leading up to it. I was much happier with the other "twist", which reveals how all the major players in this affair find themselves caught in the middle of it.    
"Devil" has elements of "Phone Booth" [majority of the movie shot in a confined space], "Saw" [bad people paying for there sins] and just about any of Shyamalans films. As I said earlier, once I had time to take everything in that "Devil" had to offer, I found it an original and entertaining film. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come for 'The Night Chronicles'.   

No comments:

Post a Comment